Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beer on a Budget

First my soapbox and then to the goodies:  I am an educator.  I am a 2nd Year Educator.  That means I am low man on the totem pole, but my lack of experience by no means reflects a lack of quality (above quality to tell you the truth) teaching.  And because I am a young teacher, I am first to go when budget cuts start to pull teachers jobs.  Scary!!  We are also under paid, and in Anna's efforts to find ways to save money, I said I would give up my TV as long as she let me have my beer.  And that got me thinking, how well will I do with living on a beer budget. 

I am going to try to keep it to a six pack every two weeks.  And my thoughts when I made this decision was, "What the HELL AM I THINKING?"  And like Charlie Sheen, I had to convince myself that I am "bi-winning."  In my first effort to save money, I tried to maximize my beer tastings while keeping to my "six-pack" limit.  At my local Harris Teeter (closest and best beer selection) I checked prices first.  I then compared equally priced beers, and then checked my preference list and found my oasis. 

I purchased a sixer of Natty Greene's Buckshot, replacing two of the bottles with Highland Brewery Gaelic Ale.  I know, "But Randy, you aren't supporting Highland by purchasing the triad brew :("  I am calling shenanigans!!!  If I review the two beers, you good people are going to out and buy the beer (if it is worth a damn) and thus more support for both small breweries.  Don't give me that moral brow beating.  Life is about beer drinking.  They will get their dollar.

In an effort to repay my debt, this weekend will be a double review.  Both these breweries will get their just rewards and you will get the quality feed back you have come to appreciate from this blog.  Also I am beginning to acquire the equipment to begin my home brewing excursion.  If you know anyone with hand-me-down home brewing equipment, have them shoot me an email or comment on this blog.  Check back on Saturday afternoon to get a boss-review of the Highland Gaelic Ale and on Sunday a fresh review will be posted of the Buckshot from here in G-Boro.

In the mean time, WHAT DO YOU DRINK ON A BUDGET?  And as always, Drink On, Beer Drinker.  Drink On.

No comments:

Post a Comment